KD’s World Tour: That’s it!
Welcome to the final posting from KD’s virtual World Tour using Google Street View! A profound thanks to the Google drivers who have put together the most amazing image database on Earth. If you want to see the whole tour you can click on the Album icon on the lower left of the page.
• Start and end points: Ross Island, Antarctica to Be’ersheva, Israel
• Countries visited: Antarctica, Pitcairn Islands, Midway Island, Guam, North Mariana Islands, American Samoa, New Zealand, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Philippines, Hong Kong, Japan, Russia, Ukraine, Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Albania, Macedonia, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, and Israel.
• Logic of pathway: Roughly, I followed a path of backwards-migration, starting at the final place we migrated to (Antarctica), and ending in Turkey and Israel. Street View coverage in Africa is very limited or else I would have kept going!
• Timespan of my virtual trip: Aug 6, 2015 to March 29, 2018
• Timespan of my postings to Flickr: Sept 6, 2015 to June 15, 2019
• Number of screenshots taken: 11,100
• Number of images posted to Flickr: 860
• Most memorable aspects of trip:
o Finding Street View in Antarctica
o Plastic waste and desolation on Marshall Islands
o Beauty of New Zealand (South Island)
o Slums, population density, pollution in SE Asia
o Informal recycling economy in SE Asia
o The temples in Cambodia
o Singapore’s downtown
o Street view inside Japanese restaurants
o Russia’s apartment buildings and “brutal” architecture
o Uniformity of Soviet style across all Russia (and Eastern Europe)
o Fairy tale neighborhoods in Eastern Europe
o Bleakness of disputed territory in Israel
For those curious, yes, I have started on a new trip, down the Mississippi River and the towns on its banks. I will start posting that towards end of 2019.
By kevin dooley on 2019-06-16 10:53:20